Skip to main content

Why Social Media Influencers Make Bank

The Big Divide Between Influencers and Companies

Several studies have been conducted to see how social media influencers compare to regular brands in terms of engagements on posts. NewsWhip's study done in June 2017 revealed that the metrics between the two were very different. "JetBlue averaged 2,363 engagements in June on its owned posts, while influencer posts garnered an average of 241,226 engagements"(eMarketer). This divide is the norm throughout all of social media. 

So how do these influencers make money? And why? 

Companies and brands approach influencers with either requests for a post, a series of posts, or a campaign to promote their product/brand. "Fellow fitness influencer Lyzabeth Lopez, creator of the Hourglass Workout, charges between $3,000 and $5,000 per post, and between $20,000 and $100,000 per campaign" (Forbes). Just to give you a ballpark estimate on how much. YouTube campaigns can run up as high as $300,000 for a campaign!! 

So why can they charge such lucrative prices? It is all about the number of followers they have, the quality of the relationship they have with their followers, and the influencer's brand/personality. 

People like to deal with other consumers vs interacting with faceless brands. 


Influencer marketing can be a promising avenue to approach since it can put your business or product in front of eyes who would have otherwise not seen it. I think for startups, once they have their customer acquisition processes in place, influencer marketing can be an promising marketing investment. It can quickly raise awareness and drive traffic to your business.

The risk lies in not having complete control of the message that is put out by the influencers. This is to ensure their message remains authentic for the best reception with their audience, which will be your audience too! Maintaining the relationship between you and the influencer is crucial as well. The balance between the safety of your brand and their authenticity. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Google Analytics Certified, Oh Yea

One of the goals within the Center of Digital Engagement Internship this summer was to become certified in at least one of the digital marketing certifications available.  I chose to to certify in Analytics because I have had prior experience with Adwords and wanted to get my feet wet in Analytics. My Strategy On Passing The Exam So within the internship, Bud Gibson, who is a director with SPARK, suggested the fail until you pass method. Using this methodology, I took the test two times. Before taking it the first time, I studied all of the Google Partner resources relating to GA. The score of my first test was a 75%! So only 5% away from passing.  An excellent way of learning Google Analytics is to apply the learning in real time. I installed Google  Analytics within this blog and have been analyzing my traffic. This has been one of the best ways of learning how GA works.  I continued to study the Google Partners resources and taking practice tests online. Once I had a fe

My Experiences With Google Adwords...So Far

Being A Non-Profit's Adwords Manager During the Winter 2017 semester at Eastern Michigan University, I took the Google Adwords and Webpage Design course. In this class we were split up into 4-person teams and paired up with non-profits. Throughout the course we created, managed, optimized campaigns and their ads. Our learning with Adwords emphasized Click-Through-Rates, quality score for keywords, and the copy on the ads.  I enjoyed the process of creating a campaign. Finding out which keywords to bid for based on monthly searches and Cost-Per-Click, creating buyer personas, and optimizing the Ad groups after campaign launch. After the semester ended, we were given the opportunity to continue managing the Adwords account for the non-profit. I promptly emailed the professor and the marketing head of the non-profit, asking if I could continue working with them through the summer.  Since then, I have been the Google Adwords Manager for The Preeclampsia Foundation. I w

Certification Process

The Google Analytics Exam I have been studying for the past couple of weeks for the analytics exam. Primarily using Google Partners as a study resource. As part of this internship, the interns have to pass Google Analytics/Adwords, Hubspot, or any approved certification in order to receive the Digital Media Certification from SPARK and the Center of Digital Engagement.  I went into my first try of taking the exam hoping for a score of 60-65%. After 50 minutes of taking the exam, I earned a 72%. Only 8% away from a passing grade! Since there is a week cool down period, I plan on studying extensively from study guides provided by Google as well as outside resources.  By next week I'll be blogging about how I passed the exam!  Do you have any strategies on how to pass these certification exams? If so, let me know in the comments below.